Twenty-four hours after the entire Nigeria was thrown into darkness, the country’s electricity workers have suspended their industrial action.
The strike was suspended when the effect of the action became biting and Nigerians started raising alarm even though many citizens still suffer irregular power supply.
The suspension of the strike action was confirmed by the Eko Electricity Distribution Company which announced further that its offices are now open for business.
The strike action had followed a 21-day ultimatum the workers issued Nigeria’s power minister, Saleh Mamman, who refused to dialogue with them.
In another statement confirming the suspension of the strike, Comrade Joe Ajaero of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), said a meeting had been convened with the federal government.
Ajaero disclosed that the grievances of the workers were addressed at the meeting which lasted till early on Thursday, December 12.
“Consequently, members are urged to return to their duty posts while we monitor the implementation of these agreements. We would not hesitate to resume action if the agreements are not implemented,” Ajaero said.
Legit.ng earlier reported how the NUEE said it was set to embark on an indefinite strike on Wednesday, December 12, with claim about the expiration of the 21 days ultimatum issued to the Minister Mamman.
The report said the minister failed to dialogue with the union before the ultimatum which lapsed on the midnight of Tuesday, December 10.
Earlier, two ministers and the director-general of the national pension commission were summoned by the House of Representatives over the planned industrial action by the electricity workers.
The ministers and the head of the commission are to appear before the lower chamber on Thursday, December 12, to brief lawmakers on the move to embark on the strike, The Nation reports.